Monday, February 28, 2011

"If I die young"

I'M BACK!!!!!
You were all waiting for me, weren't you? No, probably not. I'm hopeful though! So if anyone can think of a better title for the blog I'll change it! Please. I'll give you a virtual cookie! YUM! PIXELS! I'm using way too many exclamation points aren't I? I'll try and tone that down a bit. But seriously, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I want this blog to be successful and your input has a lot to do with that.
Today is a bit cold. This morning when I went outside (6 a.m.) it was freezing. When I went home it was a bit warmer, though it was raining. At least it’s not snow. I don’t think I could take anymore… I did wear my rocket dogs with rainbow shoelaces for the first time in months. I’ve been wearing my boots for a while. Most of winter. It’s nice to have a change of footwear. Now if I could only find my Uggs... How cold is it where you are?
So I just listened to ‘If I die Young’ by The Band Perry. I’m a big sap with songs. I cried like a little girl who just scraped her knee. I’ve always been… not paranoid but worried if I did die really young. Would anyone ever remember me? Would anyone care? Would I have accomplished anything I wanted to?
The first person I knew who died was my Aunt Rose. She died three months before my fourteenth birthday almost exactly. She was my Grandma Mary’s older sister. My dad never clarified what she died from exactly but I think it may have been Parkinson’s Disease. I think it really hurt my dad more than a lot of people. She was more than his Aunt. On the day of my Dad’s college graduation, his father was having heart surgery. My dad was one of the first people to graduate from college in his family so for anyone it should be a really happy day. His brother couldn't come because he was at the hospital in case something went wrong, and though his mother went, she was extremely worried about her husband. My Aunt Rose stayed for the entire thing, took pictures (that just got developed after she passed), and made sure he enjoyed his day.
My Aunt Rose never got married and never had any children. She lived with her brother, my Uncle Manny, and shared a house when she began getting sick. I can remember when she was well, before everything went wrong. My family used to go their house, and I used to play with the bingo markers. I still have some of the pictures I made with them. She used to make the best chocolate cake I have ever tasted in the world. Even when she was sick my Uncle Manny helped her make it. Every single person who went to her funeral mentioned it. Now my Uncle Manny makes it every holiday in memory of her. And I always have a piece. There was something about my Aunt Rose that everyone liked. My mother always said she was one of the nicest people she had ever met, one of the nicest people in my Dad’s entire family. I didn’t cry when I found out she had died, not at her funeral, not when we visit her grave but when I remember her.
I’ve been thinking about her often lately. And I’m not going to lie to you guys, I’m terrified if I die young.
Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment